If you are looking to choose the right domain name for your business or brand, then this article will guide you on the pros and cons to look out for before choosing one.
As a new business or if you have never had a website before you must have asked “how do I choose the right domain name?” or “what domain name should I choose for my business?”
In this article we are going to be looking at:
- Why choose a specific domain vs SEO
- Understanding how Google thinks of your domain and your entire website
- Choosing a keyword vs branded domain name
- How to get a domain name
Why choose a specific domain vs SEO
Your domain name is the address of your website, this is how people find you online, it also tells Google or whatever search engine the specific address of your website.
When anyone needs to find your website online through a google search, your domain name is where google sends them to when they try to find you online.
Understanding How Google Thinks Of Your Domain And Your Entire Website
Domain name and SEO
Your domain name is WHERE you are, while your website is WHO you are.
If your website doesn’t have a proper SEO done, this simply means when people or visitors generally search for your business, that is: WHO you are online, using specific keywords such as “Best caterer in Lagos” or ”Top caterer near me” related to what you do or what your brand is about and your domain name or website doesn’t pop up, this simply means Google doesn’t have enough information to help show your website as a credible or worthy business or brand to your visitors.
So irrespective of your website domain name, google cant showcase what you do to those who are searching, the first thing to do is to get a domain name for your brand online.
Choosing A Keyword Vs Branded Domain Name
Keyword-based Domain Hack for SEO
A shortcut to hacking the Google SEO is to use a keyword-based domain
For example: if you are new and you use a keyword-based domain name such as “Naijacaterer.com” or “Lagoscaterer.com” because this is a keyword-based domain name, Google will begin to rank your website top for all searches related to the top caterer in Lagos or Naija or even Nigeria.
This is simply you telling google that WHERE you are is also WHO you are
The benefits of using keyword-based domain names are:
- It gives your brand a quick SEO boost
- Instant ranking
- Your competition can’t use this domain and by so doing you get an edge above your competition
- Consumers see you as a bigger brand within your locality, as they feel a Top Lagos brand is definitely is a big brand
Cons of using keyword-based domain
- It could be a longer name for a brand, for example, a brand with the domain name “Topcatererinlagos.com” or “Bestrealestateinnigeria.com” these are quite long for visitors to remember and also affects your overall brand. Also, this could lead to longer email addresses for your email: “[email protected]” or “[email protected]”
- It also keeps your offers restricted, in the nearest future you might want to expand your product offering, but your domain name is focused on one product or service you offer hence, you won’t be able to rank for additional products you might want to offer with the same domain name.
It’s good to also mention that using the keyword-based domain sometimes as an SEO hack makes a lot of businesses focus less on website SEO, however, website SEO is more important than keyword-based domain.
When a brand works on their SEO by ranking for keywords in your domain, they would eventually rank higher than you, so a little heads up for you: never focus only on keyword-based SEO if you are considering using one.
How To Get A Domain Name For Your Business or Brand
Remember it all starts with your website, if you are a business owner looking to buy a domain name Blue host is one of the best domain name providers with feature-rich hosting services and excellent customer service to guide and support you.
Looking to increase sales and grow your leads?
Start with a professional website today, click the link below to grab the SWIFT web design offer.